According to a survey, the majority of Americans go for hotels, businesses, resorts, and restaurants with clean and quality restrooms.
Restroom cleaning is by far the most neglected activity of all the chores. It is filthy, it takes time, and you have to clean every slimy and grimy nook and corner of the restroom. Importantly so, it is essential to keep a bathroom hygienic and fresh at all times. It is the hub of all germs and bacteria, which leads to numerous diseases and dreaded health conditions. Not just this, it affects your immunity system. So no matter what you are ingesting for your good health, you still are prone to a million diseases if your restroom is not clean.
You might be cleaning your dining area, and kitchen every other day and leaving it sparkling clean, then why not your restroom? Your restroom requires the most attention. Understandably, restroom cleaning is challenging; it can turn bothersome for some people. Scrubbing thesinks and toilets takes efforts, deep cleaning the toilet bowls and flush tanks and tough stains on the faucets and commode can be frustrating. Not to forget the drains, which are not only to be cleaned but one has to bear the smell of the drain. Although there are numerous challenges, you are protecting yourself from several bacteria.There are so many diseases that are induced only because of poor hygiene conditions of the restroom.
Bacteria such as streptococcus, salmonella, E.coli, paratuberculosis are usually found in this intimate space, from your toilet bowl to restroom doorknob. Each of these bacteria can cause some severe diseases. If neglected, it can lead to kidney failure, diarrhea, liver damage, and gastrointestinal viruses.Not to forget, your booming business will go for a toss.
Remember, if there is a foul smell in the restroom, it is dirty. Not using the right tools, improper training of the janitors, and not following the correct cleaning procedures lead to the poor outcome of restroom service.
DAILY CLEANING PROCEDURES
Depending on how you wish you plan your cleaning schedule and priorities, the following are the appropriate procedures that can be carried out. These procedures are listed on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis
EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES REQUIRED
- Caution, Safety & Wet Floor Signs
- Disinfectant Sprays
- Drain Maintenance Chemicals
- Garbage Bags
- Glass Cleaners
- Upright Brooms & Dust Pans
- Handheld Scrubbing Pads
- Janitorial Carts
- Hand Soaps
- Mop Bucket and Wringers
- Restroom Surface Cleansers
- Toilet Bowl Cleaners
- Bathroom Mopping & Toilet Cleaning Kit
- Color-Coded Rags, Mops, & Buckets
- Latex/Nitrile / Synthetic / Vinyl Gloves
- Metermist Aerosol Deodorizers & Dispensers
- Urinal Blocks/Screens
Prepping the Restroom
Collect all the necessary cleaning supplies and load them onto your cart. Make sure to mark all the mops and rags to avoid the chances of them being reused in other areas. Next, check the restroom and make sure it is empty before you begin with the cleaning. Post that, place the appropriate caution/safety sign.
- Check the appearance of the restroom daily.
- Pick up the trash or any kind of debris on the floor or around the urinal area.
- Garbage cans should be adequately checked. Even if they are nearly full, replace the trash can liner with a new one.
- Keep an eye on the toiletries and check if the toilet paper or soap needs replacement. Paper towel dispensers should be adequately stocked.
- Using a toilet bowl cleaner, clean and scrub all the interior surfaces of toilets and wipe the exterior using a disinfectant.
- Wipe and disinfect door handles, switches, partitions, shelves, cabinets, and dispensers.
- Using a glass cleaner, remove fingerprints and dried water stains on the mirrors.
- Wipe and clean sinks and faucets using an acidic surface cleanser.
- Next, dust, sweep, and wet mop the floors. Make sure you keep the bathroom mops, mop buckets, and solutions separately. Otherwise, it would lead to cross-contamination with other utilities.
- Make sure you dust every nook and corner of the restroom. This includes the shelves, partitions, top surfaces of the doors, hand dryers, dispensers, and air vents.
- Air fresheners and aerosol deodorizers should be replaced.
- If necessary, replace the urinal blocks.
- Accurately check the functioning of the drain. Use a drain cleaner if it is not working.
FINAL CLEAN UP
This needs to do after every procedure, no matter which one you choose.
- Throw all the trash bags in the dumpster.
- Make sure not to remove the caution signs around the restroom until the restroom is cleaned, dried, and ready to use.
- Clean and rinse the mops, mop buckets, and dusters with disinfectants.
Proper Steps to Clean Restrooms
- Sanitize and disinfect the urinals, toilets, faucets, doorknobs, and sinks. During this step, make sure you do not damage the wall enamel. Always start with disinfecting and switch to other tasks; this would give the sanitizer maximum dwell time.
- Before you begin sweeping and mopping the floor, inspect and dust the top of partitions and vents, etc. Use a vacuum dust wand if necessary.
- Before the debris builds up, sweep the floors, walls, corners, and dispose of large trash.
- All the toilet papers, paper towels, sanitary napkin bags, seat covers, and other paper supplies should be carefully inspected and restocked. Other supplies like hand soaps, shampoos, sanitizers should also be re-stocked.
- Don’t forget to polish the mirrors and metal fixtures. Make sure the surface is clean and spotless.
- Clean and disinfect urinals, sinks, and toilets both inside and out. Make sure to dry and rinse toilet seats to avoid major injuries from chemical burns.
- Mix and make a solution of disinfectant, detergent, and enzyme cleaner. Dip the mop in the solution and then mop the floors.
- Clean and wash the walls to avoid soiling and build up. Make sure that the solution is applied from bottom to top. Rinse it from top to bottom.
- You can double wet mop floors occasionally. The solution should be allowed to soak for a reasonable amount of time. Either clean it with a wet vacuum or mop and rinse with clean water.
RESTROOM CLEANING HACKS
- Mouthwash has many benefits. It not deep cleanses your mouth but also cleans toilet bowls. It can turn your dirty yellow toilets into pristine, porcelain white. Take a quarter cup of mouthwash and pour it in the toilet. Let it sit for at least 45 minutes and then scrub.
- Bathroom mirrors are hard to clean. Water specks and dust spots on the mirrors get the mirror fogged up. The most effective way to clean the mirror is black tea. Boil one cup of water and add a few bags of black tea. Cool it to room temperature level. Use the solution to clean the mirror. The magical element in the drink is the tannic acid, which would dissolve dirt and debris, resulting in a spotless surface.
- Some spots and stains are rigid and tough to remove. Running water with high chlorine content in the shower and sink leaves tough stains on the chrome fixtures. Take half a lemon and rub on your stained faucets and chrome fixtures. The spots would disappear right away. The citrusy smell would also eliminate foul odors in the restroom.